Mclean County MissFits

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mclean County MissFits
Mclean County MissFits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here)

+4
PsychoWard
Manda Lorian
nonny noisemaker
aMOXIEcilla
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here) Empty Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here)

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:16 am

And it was SO fun!

I guess there is a speed skating team (including the most adorable 6 year old boy who skates like motherfucker!), and TCDG join in the fun and do speed drills, sprints, endurance, etc.

Last night, they focused on sprints and it was great. The track they mark out it probably about another 1/2 as big as a regulation derby track, so it was a great work-out!

I talked to a bunch of the girls that were there and they are ALL about hangin' with some MissFits soon! We're looking at March or April (in between their/our bout schedule). I suggested we set up a scrimmage day/trip to Lucca some Saturday. I will contact Jo once I get with the training committee to see what will work. I'll doodle it, natch. Very Happy

They were so warm and welcoming to me, and I just want to say how PROUD I was to say that I was from the MissFits! I love you

I felt like I really got my speed up last night. It felt good to sprint (even though I'm not a jammer, it really gave me "endurance confidence").

I'm hoping we can caravan out there soon so you guys can hang with them too!

Their rink is very similar to Decatur's. The floor was slicker, but the space looks really similar.

P.S. The fastest girl got a 17.5 and my fastest time was 19.5! I was pretty excited. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here) Empty Re: Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here)

Post  aMOXIEcilla Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:43 am

dont say you're not a jammer-you might be
aMOXIEcilla
aMOXIEcilla

https://mcmissfits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here) Empty Re: Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here)

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:37 am

Admin wrote:dont say you're not a jammer-you might be

Very Happy

I promise to stop saying that.

Back to top Go down

Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here) Empty LEts Talk Cross Training

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:15 pm

I have a suggestion and I'm going to just throw it up there..

I feel that in any job or sport while you may not be good at all positions it is important to know all positions. It is my opinion that everyone that is on the team, learn, practice, and be required to NSO/Ref in a rotating fashion. If everyone on the team could ref or work the box or be a captain then look at the huge advantage we have at all the games and over other teams.

It's all fine to skate and be a jammer or blocker all the time but it seems ignorant not to train fully in all positions but especially NSO positions that everyone can do. Being a ref everyone can do on the team, if you can skate you can be a ref.

It would give you a better understanding of everything, it's like working on a car, it's fine to know how to change your oil but understanding why and taking an engine apart gives you full knowledge..

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:34 pm

While this is a good suggestion, we all should focus on what we came here to do. I know that there may not be times were I bout and I will voulenteer to nso for sure. But we should not make a rotating schedule. We will be breaking up into teams soon and will be skating and concentrating on are r teams. That is why we have voulenteer nsos and refs to do those positons.
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Birthday : 1979-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:40 pm

I understand what you are saying; I guess it makes more since to me to have a schedule so we are not scrambling for NSO's and refs, after all we can not all skate at the same time...I knew this would not be a popular suggestion I just thought it would make us more versatile.

Back to top Go down

Post  aMOXIEcilla Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:44 pm

i think that as the league grows this will be happening and part of the training process. building from the ground up. learning as we go. growing pains. we have trial and errored several times and each time came back stronger. i also believe we would all be stronger if we knew each part of the game.
aMOXIEcilla
aMOXIEcilla

https://mcmissfits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:48 pm

I agree and every good strong team does that, you may be a better jammer but limiting yourself to that is not productive. In this sport you can serve two masters and it would behoove you and the team to do so.

Knowing that so and so will be reffing or doing NSO stuff the next time around enables us to focus more on the bout coming up and not this scrambling to get people from other teams or even our own at the last minute. Stress free.

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Shelly I am not shooting down ur idea. Totally when we grow there will be more nsoing opps for us and whichever team is not bouting will be nsoing. And that's is kinda what we are doing now.
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 pm

I thought this topic was going to be about working out outside of practice (which I am ALL for Very Happy)

That said...

I see where you are coming from, but what I thought would eventually happen is that we would have our teams (then another and hopefully a 4th at some point) and permanent NSOs, refs and volunteers.

The reason some of us NSO'd in Decatur was that we were needed and we weren't on the roster and we wanted the SCR bout to actually happen! haha

I do agree that everyone should try NSOing at least once. It's really a LOT of fun and it's a chance to see the game from a whole new perspective. It's also a great way to learn more about the ins and outs of the rules of the game. I imagine ACJ can attest to how much she learned by reffing the SCR bout. I'd REALLY like to learn that position at some point myself some day.

However...our main focus (as skaters) is to play. If there are girls who aren't ready/can't bout, NSOing/volunteering (like you did for the Peoria bout, Shelly) is totally the way to go. A free ticket, getting to go behind the "velvet rope" of the bout, learning the game better...the list goes on and on.

All that to say that I kind of agree with both sides on this one. While everyone should try NSOing, no one should be required to.

.02 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Agreed Louden you said what I was thinking
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 pm

I like the idea of when we grow we will have permanent NSO's and ref's that sounds like a good idea. I just thought that until that point comes it just sounded like a good idea to know who was coming up to do such positions and leave the scrambling around and uncertainty to amateur teams.

Like if Suzzie can;t ref last minute and a NSO get sick last minute and we are short our team would be able to produce one without issue cause everyone knows all positions.

Back to top Go down

Post  Manda Lorian Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:29 pm

i would very much like to start something with our next group of freshmeat that they at least job shadow one nso position for informational purposes at at least one scrimmage. it really is informative and helps make a well rounded skater and appreciate what the nsos do for us. but i would never want to require more than that. NSOs come and go. its a problem with every league. sometimes its the time commitment, sometimes its the lack of glamour or a billion other reasons. a lot will start as an nso and then decide to skate. but i think the longer we are around the more dedicated NSOs we will get. there are leagues with zero. none at all. they pull from the audience and teach them real quick every single time they bout. we've had some come and go but we've never been nso broke and we do have other leagues willing to share. refness had contacted me before christmas about using our nsos for their scrimmages and now they have more than they know what to do with. as long as we all keep spreading the word that there are nso/volunteer positions to be had and keep growing, bouting, and being awesome we'll do fine. but if any skater is interested in learning more about nso stuff for any reason, just let me know.
Manda Lorian
Manda Lorian

Birthday : 1980-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Mrs. Amanda you made my point more valid and well said, quoting " NSOs come and go. its a problem with every league. sometimes its the time commitment, sometimes its the lack of glamour or a billion other reasons. a lot will start as an nso and then decide to skate."

There you go they come and go. it's not a glamorousness (love that word) position, and they end up wanting to skate. If we just trained everyone to do it from the get go then we would not have that problem of them leaving. They leave because that is really all they do and it's gets boring and its short lived to them. I mean having your permanent male refs is one thing cause they can't bout unless it's all star shit. However by rotating members for those positions would prevent this high turn over rate. With a large enough team realistically you would only be doing it a few times a year.

Within the quote above the team itself is "time commitment", there is lack of "glamour" in other aspects of this such as lots of prepping and fundraisers and having to take time away from your family to do meetings etc, and as a team we are still "required" those things to make our idea function efficiently. So its my conclusion that I don't really see a difference between them. Just saying!
What a Face What a Face

Last edited by shelly snider on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  PsychoWard Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Manda Lorian wrote:i would very much like to start something with our next group of freshmeat that they at least job shadow one nso position for informational purposes at at least one scrimmage. it really is informative and helps make a well rounded skater and appreciate what the nsos do for us. but i would never want to require more than that.

I LOVE this idea!!
PsychoWard
PsychoWard

Birthday : 1978-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 pm

BTW I would love to shadow for the upcoming bout if I could!!! Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Great job Louden!!! Sounds fun! Let me know next time you go!
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 pm

I will def. post next time. It was super last minute yesterday afternoon.

I totally forgot to tell you guys about the creeper in the parking lot asking me why some of the girls were calling others a "wife". Oy. I was nice and explained it and stuff. Made sure to add that it wasn't sexual. He had a sad after I said that and I'm pretty sure he stopped listening.

Back to top Go down

Post  amanda tori suicide Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:06 am

yeah let me know next time you go. I need all the skating I can get since I cant do saturday practice. Plus I need to work on endurance.
amanda tori suicide
amanda tori suicide

Birthday : 1982-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Camp Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 am

Louden I am sooooo with you on this, and Manda I love the idea of freshies shadowing, I mean bout attendance is 100% so they would only benefit from this.

I know personally I would love to ref, after I can't skate as a player anymore...as for NSOing I am so all for it when I’m not bouting...all of us will be doing this when our team is not playing. I know it’s gonna be a really hard job for me...I mean I really can't refrain myself from screaming on the sideline, perhaps I will need to duct tape my mouth shut.

I am DEF not for making it manditory though sorry....I don't think we will have a problem with NSOs and Refs for our first home bout...esp if we give ourselves more than one month/or 2 weeks to plan it.
Camp
Camp

Birthday : 1983-06-29

http://mcleancountymissfits.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Ok, you guys are vets and know best, I concede.......Just putting ideas out there!

Back to top Go down

Post  PsychoWard Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Shelly, i thought your ideas are great. I loved/hated NSO'ing the first bout. it was hard not to scream for the MissFits. But I found that wherever I am on the track I'm paying attention to the game and learning. It was an amazing experience and I'm glad I did it. I don't think that anybody knows better than anybody else. This is everybody's first derby league. Your opinions and ideas totally matter. For serial. Just because we disagree doesn't mean any of us think that we know better than anybody else. None of us would ever want you to feel that way.
PsychoWard
PsychoWard

Back to top Go down

Post  PsychoWard Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:08 pm

I mean know best. Sorry.
PsychoWard
PsychoWard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Oh no I don't mean it that way, I do feel like the vets know best that is way you are the vets....There is a reason why the league as a whole has not suggested this before... Wink

Back to top Go down

Derby Training/Cross-Training/Gym FAQ (merge here) Empty working hardcore on my core

Post  nonny noisemaker Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:27 pm

I want to start working on building my core any suggestions for at home workouts?
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next