Mclean County MissFits

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mclean County MissFits
Mclean County MissFits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holding one another accountable

3 posters

Go down

Holding one another accountable Empty Holding one another accountable

Post  JMFK Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:27 pm

So something we'd like all of us to work on this season is giving feedback to each other and holding each other accountable for areas that can be improved upon. It's difficult when we don't always have refs at practice to make calls and we don't have a league coach, so we all have to get comfortable giving one another feedback.

For instance, during scrimmage drills tonight Suicide told me I needed to watch my forearms/hands during defense against the opposing jammer. I wouldn't have been aware of that if she hadn't told me. I heard some people calling out (myself included) about direction of game play, back blocks, etc., but we should be sure to directly address our teammates about what to be careful of/avoid/improve upon.

I realize that sometimes it's unpleasant to tell people what they're doing wrong (and equally as unpleasant to hear that we are doing things wrong), but we are one solid unit and all we've got is each other, and have to learn to dish it out and take it in a productive and respectful manner.

Thanks team.
JMFK
JMFK

Birthday : 1981-07-24

Back to top Go down

Holding one another accountable Empty Re: Holding one another accountable

Post  Camp Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:08 am

I like this, but instead of thinking of this as unleasant, think of it as you and your teammate wanting you to be a better skater. It shouldn't be something that is wrong it should be something that is second nature and good to do...we encourage positive feedback. I give it out all the time and LOVE to hear it myself Smile
Camp
Camp

Birthday : 1983-06-29

http://mcleancountymissfits.org

Back to top Go down

Post  JMFK Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Maybe I should have used the word uncomfortable instead. I think a lot of us aren't yet comfortable giving and receiving feedback, especially if it's about what we are doing wrong. But yes, the goal is to become more comfortable and willing to do so, so that it's not a negative but a positive and productive thing.
JMFK
JMFK

Back to top Go down

Post  JMFK Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 am

Also, there is a huge difference between a vague "good job" and a specific "the way you combined footwork and stability was really effective in blocking me."
So please let's all try to communicate effective and ineffective gameplay to our teammates throughout the season, despite what skill level/committee we belong to. We are all teammates, none of us perfect, who can all learn from each other.
JMFK
JMFK

Back to top Go down

Post  Silent Assassin Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:10 am

I really could use feedback. I've been gone so long and so preoccupied with the truck that I have forgotten basic rules like target zones. So I really could use thefeedback. Thanks for posting this jeri!
Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Birthday : 1981-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum