Mclean County MissFits

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mclean County MissFits
Mclean County MissFits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :)

+2
aMOXIEcilla
hellsmelle
6 posters

Go down

So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :) Empty So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :)

Post  Guest Thu May 26, 2011 11:18 am

Please use this thread to post your campaign speech. Tell us which position you are running for and why you are the best woman for the job. Say as much or as little as you want (but don't leave out which board position you are running for!).

PLEASE please please run a clean campaign. No back alley promises on the DL. However, feel free to bribe us with baked goods, flashy signs and back rubs. Smile

And....GO!

Back to top Go down

So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :) Empty Hell's Melle for VP/Mox for Pres!

Post  hellsmelle Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Where do I even begin...

Since the beginning, I knew roller derby was going to be a life changing experience. Sitting in Dennys with a bunch of ladies who couldn't have been more different than me, looking around at all the excited faces, I felt at home. It's an impossible thing to describe.

I've watched this league evolve from the ground up. As your vice president, I've been able to help shape the way the league has grown and helped make the hard decisions necessary to keeping a league of this size moving forward in a positive and productive manner.

Besides having my daughter, joining the Missfits has been the most influential thing to ever happen to me. Many of you know the struggles I went through last Fall but I'm not sure you know that it was the Missfits that got me through it and helped keep my head above water. It has been all of you that have supported me, loved me, kicked my ass and helped me back up.

I would love to continue acting on your behalf and being your voice on the board because I really do consider all of you my sisters. I've worked hard, tirelessly, for you and will continue to do so. It's the only way I can give back to a league that's already given me so much.

Thank you and Rettig bless Derby!
Much love,
Hell's Melle, your current vice president!

And about that amazing Moxie...

Although this is an individual campaign, I am running with the amazing Amoxicilla, your current board president. She is the face of this league and has given her blood, sweat and tears for all of us. I have watched her literally exhaust herself getting things done, making harder decisions than she lets on and steering us as a whole towards the amazing and miraculous place we are at right now. Let there be no mistake... we are where we are BECAUSE of her. She may be loud and outspoken but the one thing she doesn't pat herself on the back for is everything she has done for us and, god knows, she should be more than patting herself on the back (dirty!). Not only is she one of my best friends, she IS the president of the Mclean County Missfits. And she should continue to be because I truly believe no one is capable of working harder than she has for us.

Thank you for your votes!

Last edited by hellsmelle on Thu May 26, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar nazi!)
hellsmelle
hellsmelle

Birthday : 1981-10-04

Back to top Go down

So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :) Empty Vote aMOXIEcilla for president: she's the drug for all your derby needs!

Post  aMOXIEcilla Thu May 26, 2011 3:16 pm

My fellow MissFits….
What a first year we have had, right?! I could have never imagined we would have come this far this fast. Let me first start off by saying every day I am more amazed by all of you. None of this thing we call derby would be possible without each and every one of you. From fundraising to pr and everything in between, the MissFits have run like a well-oiled machine. In the beginning there was so much to do. I often felt overwhelmed and worried that I couldn’t do it alone. Then something happened - MissFits assembled! Thank you all for making me the proudest president ever.

So here we are, just over a year into it and it’s time for you to choose who you think best suits your board. We have had good times and bad, fun and often rocky, and even some drama as one would expect from a group of amazing diverse women. I have done my best to listen to each and every one of your thoughts and concerns over the past year. This is no small task! My phone often doesn’t stop whether its email, facebook, text or an actual phone call. But I never wanted anyone to feel like they weren’t important enough to be heard. Once I heard Pro say, “I wanna be known as that celebrity that you can talk to.” Now I have no false image of being a celebrity, but I like the way she said that. I have tried and will continue to try and get to know each MissFit skater, ref, nso and volunteer on a personal level.

In my time as Board President, I have accomplished many things. For starters, creating committees and choosing appropriate heads of these committees to ensure that we get our goals accomplished. And boy have we accomplished some goals! In the beginning my head spun as I researched not-for-profits, roller derby leagues and businesses alike. I have never done anything close to this in my life as a forever waitress. I sat down and spent 6 hours writing bylaws. I didn't even know what bylaws meant before the MissFits. But here we are, recognized as a business in the State of Illinois and on our way to being a 501c3 not-for-profit organization recognized by the federal government. They don’t just give those things out like candy to anyone who asks. The board has worked really hard to get where we are today.

I have reached out to other leagues to get us training in an effort to point the MissFits in the right direction (oh Push how we love you). In December, I was a huge part of planning our very first bout with the Soy City Rollers. Just a month after that, I had us back in action and planned another bout with the Peoria Push. We pulled that one off with just over 2 weeks of planning. Ladies, we helped that league raise over $26,000 for IL Cancer Care Foundation. I still remember that moment when they gave the giant check and I was immobilized with tears in my eyes. All the training, bruises and late nights snuggling with contracts were most definitely worth that moment alone.

With the first two bouts under our whip belts, we were all anxious to play at home. Once Shelly found a home, it was non-stop planning time. I found us a team to play, spent countless emails back and forth with the venue, and helped form the bout planning committee. We spent months making sure this event would be perfect. We all wanted to show this town, as well as those who haven’t always been so supportive of us, just how amazing we all were. I chose Relay for Life as our charity because as you all know it is very close to my heart. Ladies and gentlemen, when April 9th happened, I know we don’t talk about it, but my heart broke. I sat outside thinking of all we had done to get ready for this event. I thought about all the time and planning, all the hopes and dreams we all had, the charity, and the surgery I had postponed just to make this event possible. And I bawled. I felt all of your hearts break at once. How were we ever going to overcome what had happened?

Within a half hour, the board assembled upstairs, grabbed Champ and set a new date. This date meant that I couldn’t play. But I could coach. So after some wound licking, we all partied. Just like that. MissFits assembled, and we got it done. Our bout raised over $26,000 for Relay for Life. Now ladies, you know I love to skate, and hit, but there is no moment I will remember like the look on those faces when we presented that giant check. To stand up with my sister, in front of an audience that size filled with our fans, is better than any other moment I have had on roller skates. This was my dream for the MissFits. I dreamed it and we did it. We are strong, beautiful, powerful women of all ages, shapes, and sizes kicking a lot of ass for great causes. If there was ever any question of my mother being proud of me while she was living, I no longer have to wonder. I don’t know that I believe people look down when they die, but I do believe that my mother left part of herself in me. And that part still chokes up when I think of all we have accomplished together.

In the next year, I hope to continue moving forward. I want more practices and more space. If we can secure a few nights a week and have a more structured practice plan (this team v this team scrimmage, individual team practices, different league scrimmages etc…) I know the MissFits will only get better. We have 3 teams currently and I hope to add 3 more. I want the public to have their favorite teams/players and have strong competitions within the league as well as our traveling allstars. The MissFits seem to have a large fanbase already which has been willing to travel and support us in other cities. It’s always amazing to hear them chanting for us when we aren’t even the home team! I hope with the success of our first home bout under our wings we can continue to put on events at the USCC and hopefully break into Redbird Arena. They have shown interest in us and it’s time to get in there and show them what we can do. With the support of ISU/HFH, we will be holding tournaments which will help us purchase our very own sport court! I see us finding our own home and eventually being able to hold bouts there as opposed to paying someone else thousands of dollars to do it. This next year will be an exciting one and I hope that you will let me lead you into these accomplishments.

I have skated hard for you over this past year, sometimes in circles, but skated my heart out. I have overcome several personal issues that, without the MissFits, I don’t know where I would be. I think this marriage between the board as it stands today, and the league, is a healthy one that shouldn’t be separated. Our treasurer, senior bitch advisor, secretary, vice president and I have all worked cohesively together to make the MissFits what they are today. We will continue to work hard for you, rawrbviously. Thanks for your time, love, sweat, tears and bruises. This has been one of the best years of my life!

aMOXIEcilla 500mg
xoxo bitches
aMOXIEcilla
aMOXIEcilla

https://mcmissfits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :) Empty Re: So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :)

Post  Double Painbow Thu May 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Wow, wish I had posted before you moxie Smile
I will simply keep my bid short and sweet.

MissFits, I would love to continue on as your treasurer. I enjoy what I do for the league and want to give myself and everyone else the opportunity to keep their minds fresh, open, and positive about our financial situation. The MissFits rock at making money and I love keeping track of and organizing it. Let's face it, I get a little bit of a pleasure high off of counting our earnings and seeing our business grow!
We have worked so hard to become what we have and I feel I have played a crucial role in making that happen. I have watched our tiny organization become a giant in less than six months. I have not gotten as much pride from anything else as I have from skating with the MissFits and watching the good we do in our community.
I have enjoyed watching a real business unravel during visits with CPAs, filing taxes, and budgeting our funds to keep us going all while donating back to charitable organizations. I have learned so much in this short time and feel I still have so much room left to grow and knowledge to learn from our amazing Not-for-Profit Business!

I love the time I have spent with all of you and can't wait to continue on into our next MissFit chapter,
Double Painbow, Treasurer
Double Painbow

Birthday : 1987-08-03

Back to top Go down

So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :) Empty Re: So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :)

Post  Camp Sun May 29, 2011 9:51 am

So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :) Moxiep11
Camp
Camp

Birthday : 1983-06-29

http://mcleancountymissfits.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Ass.Crack.Jack Sun May 29, 2011 12:47 pm

That's really cute Camp, and I really wish I would have posted before Moxie as well...mine is going to be short and sweet.

I can't imagine my life without the Missfits, I love every single person involved with the Missfits and I love, love, love the current board we have. Although I have only been Senior Bitch Advisor a few months, I really enjoy it and honestly think it is my special place in the league. I enjoyed being in charge of Freshmeat, but being a part of the board has really opened my eyes to the day-to-day aspects of running a non-for profit business. Like Moxie said, "I think this marriage between the board as it stands today, and the league, is a healthy one that shouldn’t be separated. Our treasurer, senior bitch advisor, secretary, vice president and I have all worked cohesively together to make the MissFits what they are today. We will continue to work hard for you, rawrbviously." really just sums up how I feel and what I want everyone to know about our board members.

As for me, I am seeking re-election as Senior Bitch Advisor so I can help make this league the best we can possibly be. It hasn't been easy up to this point, and I don't see it getting easier any time soon, but I love being involved and helping us get up and rolling.

And as for Louden's bribe comment, I don't know if you have tried my cookies but I have the Rockurass family hooked...just sayin'! Cookies for everyone if I get re-elected?

So vote ACJ as SBA!

Thanks!!!
Ass.Crack.Jack
Ass.Crack.Jack

Birthday : 1988-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  WreckaHolmes Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Oh geeze.

I didn't know I had to give a speech.

Look. Vote for me and I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Love ya!

Wrecka Holmes
WreckaHolmes
WreckaHolmes

Birthday : 1983-04-12

Back to top Go down

So, you wann'a be a board memeber? Tell us why! :) Empty Camp Rockurass for VP

Post  Camp Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Well hello derby lovers, here is my rap for you: I have decided to run for VP for the Mclean County MissFits, please vote for me Smile I am 1000% committed to this league in everyway. I think about derby 24 hours a day and have so many ideas swarming around in my head. I feel like the best place for me is in the VP seat.

I will do my best to help make great decisions for the league and look forward to seeing us grow and grow. We all started with no knowledge of running a business and have come so far. I have been there for most of it and feel like it is my time to grow in the league. Lately I have not only been taking on PR, but I have also been helping Moxie with bout coordinating and presenting new ideas to the board. I think the past few weeks have opened my eyes into a new position of the league that I would like to pursue. I have always been a person to contact with any questions/concerns you might have and I would continue to do that as your VP.

Please consider me as your new VP, I promise to keep an open mind and be a great leader for everyone.

P.S. I can not offer you tasty treats, because my baking skillz are really bad, however I do make a pretty mean Italian beef, just sayin’ smooch

Love You Bitchezzz,
Camp Rockurass
Camp
Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:36 am

This is a great thread, ladies! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  hellsmelle Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:30 pm

I wrote my last campaign speech running unopposed. When Camp announced her candidacy (and this is absolutely nothing against her - I love her to pieces), I contemplated not running. I contemplated a leave of absence. I cried and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

But when I picked up the pieces and really took a good hard look at myself and why I was so upset I realized... derby is my life. I have been practicing 2 - 3 times a week for over a year. I have gone to fresh meat practices because I believe in the future of our league. I have set up board meetings, spent my free time with my board and derby league mates, because I AM derby. Derby is no longer something I do, it's something I am.

Being your vice president for the past year has changed me in innumerable ways. I have become a better skater, a better leader, a better person... all because of this great league. I am not yet ready to give that position up and just skate because I believe in the future of this league and how my opinions and help can shape it into the BEST league we can be. I have high aspirations - WFTDA membership, skating rink ownership, keeping us together as a family (like we should be and like we have lost track of lately).

I believe in us, I believe in all of you and I believe that I am the best candidate for this position because, although I am not the most boisterous and in-your-face person, I have the passion necessary to make this the best goddamn league in the country. Hell, we're already well on our way.

I hope you believe in me as much as I believe in, respect and love all of you.

Yours,

Hell's Melle
hellsmelle
hellsmelle

Birthday : 1981-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Camp Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:54 pm

YES!!!! May the best Dactyl win! Smile
Camp
Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum