Mclean County MissFits

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mclean County MissFits
Mclean County MissFits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts about Derby

3 posters

Go down

Random Thoughts about Derby Empty Random Thoughts about Derby

Post  Grand Laursony Mon May 06, 2013 1:27 pm

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and thought I’d share my thoughts about how our league is structured, especially as there have been continued questions about how to structure our season. I know that many are trying to build our league into one that is a serious WFTDA contender—competitive in nature, while others are here to have fun. Regardless of one’s reason for being in this league, I think that the continual nature of our season and sport is a potential disadvantage for the league. The league has moved forward in implementing breaks for rest and rejuvenation, initially at the end of the year, but now also in the summer.

While these breaks are helpful, I think that the league would actually be able to retain skaters for longer durations if derby wasn’t such a commitment that, in all honesty, never ends.
While I love derby, not having time away from it doesn’t allow me to appreciate it more fully than I do at times; sometimes I get bored (just because of the routine of it, not for other reasons). As a result, I don’t always feel that I push myself as much as I could/should, which limits my growth. In addition, I have other interests in life other than derby (i.e. cycling, gym, friends, gardening) that compete. Right now, it’s really hard to come to derby when it’s so nice outside, because I LOVE summer weather. Sometimes “having to come to derby” makes me resentful of it. Rolling Eyes

I don’t know if others ever feel this way about our derby season/league structure, or if it’s just me, but even if we are trying to be a competitive league, I think that having a few months off during the year (or one that are much, much lighter) would actually improve our league, because we’d be more appreciative, more focused, and would potentially retain skaters over the long run (less attrition). I’ve been thinking that it would be nice to have our season from September or October until May (when it’s cooler and crappier out), having either a few months off in the summer, or potentially just a practice a week during the summer. Summer is hard—it’s nice out, and there are a lot of other things to do since it’s nice out.

Just thought I’d share since it’s been on my mind—no expectations.
Grand Laursony
Grand Laursony

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts about Derby Empty Re: Random Thoughts about Derby

Post  Camp Mon May 06, 2013 1:59 pm

I can relate. I have had so many emotions in derby, bordom being one of those. The routines get old and there are so many things I have given up for derby. I made a huge decision for myself and my family by taking a break from derby and I'm so happy I did because not only do I have a beautiful baby but I long for my skates, I want to be hit so bad right now and the thought of waitin one more month to skate is killing me. Most sports do not practice year round and I think a break is healthy. I would have liked mine to be in the summer cause now I'm strugling to find time for everything.
Camp
Camp

Birthday : 1983-06-29

http://mcleancountymissfits.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Moxiezer0 Thu May 16, 2013 8:18 am

I would love to see a break on the league meeting agenda. Derby certainly is a big part of who I am but doesn't define me as a whole. My life is full of many things and several of those are often left on the backburner due to a never ending derby schedule. Our league is established and it isn't going anywhere. We should def take into consideration a set season. I know it's scary to think you will lose your abilities but staying active will keep you strong.
Moxiezer0
Moxiezer0
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down