Mclean County MissFits

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mclean County MissFits
Mclean County MissFits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draft process

3 posters

Go down

Draft process Empty Draft process

Post  May Q Sick Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm

I finally had a chance to look over the proposals. The reassignment drafts will in one way or another shuffle teams. I say if we are gonna continue having home teams that it would be silly to switch teams around. We have always told skaters it is ok to step down from their team if they want a change. Changing it up completely is adding more problems to the fire IMHO and making the home season boring to a veteran home teamer. But If you like the idea please discuss it more without my opinion swaying you or thinking I'm judging you...That's not why I'm posting. I just wanna make sure I understand it all by putting this out there.

The Bid Process -shortened breaks down like this?
16-current # of skaters = # of bids
-each team ranks the pool of draftees in order of preference
-each draftee ranks the teams in order of preference (leaving off teams they don't want to play for)
-Bidding begins with each team announcing their first pick. If there are any duplicates then the draftee will be put on the team she chose as her #1. The team who didn't get that draftee picks until they find a match and that round is over. (If a skater did not want to skate for the team that picked them then that team can chose last in the round till they get a draftee who has this team on their list?) Is that true?
-Next round starts all over with the same process.
-and so on until you hit a cap of 16 or there are no more skaters who match teams that choose skaters who have them on their lists.

Ranked Draft Rotation -shortened breaks down like this?
-A current teams roster is averaged using ranking from travel team tryouts.
-The team with the lowest # of skaters is used to determine the average. (Currently the Betties @ 6) So the top 6 would be averaged from each team and ranked lowest to highest with the lowest average team getting 1st pick.
-In the next round the highest 7 from the team re-ranked with the concept the same.
-and so on until you hit a cap of 16? or whatever is decided.

I like both these options. If you really break them down and go with the flow they are fair processes. Props P&P!!!!

I am partial to the ranked draft rotation more then the other bc having the draftees rank the teams could cause tension unless it is confidential outside of the captains. I also like that idea lots to avoid someone being on a team they didn't have their heart set on.

I would like to see a process that just chooses a fair way of rotating thru rounds without the teams being weighted. We have done it this way every time thus far by the roll of the di. This is not fair sometimes if one team keeps getting the first pick. Can we use the ranked draft rotation just in round 1 and continue choosing in that exact order for the rest of the rounds. This would prevent a team from getting back to back picks. Each team would get every 3rd skater without having to worry that one team will get 2 choices in a row. I know our captains have worked hard in the past few years to have a team that is strong. It might look different on paper then what it means to the teams. If we re-average based on paper every round then a team that is strong to begin with might always get last pick but its possible they move down in the rank and in round 2 or 3 they get to pick 2 in a row. Or one team might pick 1st in the 2nd round but then not pick again till pick 3 in round 3. Do we want that or do we just want to use it for the first round and then go in order from there and giving each team every third pick. Just an option I would like to see avaliable. Thoughts? Sorry for the long post everyone!

May Q Sick
May Q Sick

Birthday : 1977-12-31

Back to top Go down

Draft process Empty Re: Draft process

Post  DerbyHowser Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Round robin picks is technically the most fair which goes A B C C B A so that each team gets the same average value of the picks. Going ABC ABC results in an average value of 2.5 for team A, 3.5 for Team B and 4.5 for Team C which is clearly not fair.

ABC CBA results in Team A getting 3.5 (1 + 6), B getting 3.5 (2 + 5) and C getting 3.5 (3 + 4).

The reason for the suggestion about releasing either all or some of the skaters into the draft pool is this. Some skaters think that certain teams have a very large advantage over the other teams or may potentially in the future. Adding a large pool of relatively new skaters does not overcome having a large pool of experienced skaters. The only way to work this would be redistribution of experienced and inexperienced skaters to rebalance the teams.

So if I have 10 top ranked skaters and you have 3. We add 13 new skaters to the league. I'm going to get 3 inexperienced skaters and you're going to get 10. You'll notice in the ranked draft that the team with the best ratio maintains the best ratio until the very end and only flips at the very end when their ratio of experienced to inexperienced flips within their team.

I'm really hoping no one takes this personally, I'm looking at all of this from a math perspective.
DerbyHowser
DerbyHowser

Birthday : 1979-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  May Q Sick Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:20 pm

I appreciate the math bc I am not looking at it like that at all. That was cool! I do see how this could be a math problem but only if each skater was seriously and accurately ranked in every single way possible. Not the case at all. That is one reason that a team getting #1 pick and #6 (ABC CBA) is not necessarily getting a fair shake against the team getting pick 3 and 4. I only think this if there are a handful (4 or 5) of draftees that are at the elite playing level. Otherwise it works fine but this is not always the case. In any case I'm sure it will work out...I was just brainstorming!
May Q Sick
May Q Sick

Birthday : 1977-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Silent Assassin Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:36 pm

It is very hard forus to be exactly detailed without knowing what training committee plans on doing with testing. We have discussed reweighing certain things before the next time we test. That was the 1st time we tried that testing process and it took us a long time to put it together, but we learned what to do and not to do. Smile
Silent Assassin
Silent Assassin

Birthday : 1981-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down