Mclean County MissFits

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mclean County MissFits
Mclean County MissFits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VFW afterparty

+12
Demanda
Vile
Ginger Spite
MisterBates
Deadtyme Skarebear
DV Aunt Rose
Mark Embry
Molly Dill
Camp
Laura
Ass.Crack.Jack
nonny noisemaker
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

VFW afterparty Empty VFW afterparty

Post  nonny noisemaker Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:21 pm

So how does everyone like the vfw? They want us back for 5-12-12. I know they needed more bartenders. But other than that i thought it was cool.
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Birthday : 1979-11-22

Back to top Go down

VFW afterparty Empty Re: VFW afterparty

Post  Ass.Crack.Jack Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:18 pm

It was huge! Besides the bartender situation I liked it.
We need a few more pizzas next time if we have that many people playing, we ran out before everyone got some.
Ass.Crack.Jack
Ass.Crack.Jack

Birthday : 1988-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:46 pm

The bartender situation was pretty bad. Friends who came with me left after they waited for 25 minutes and couldn't get a drink - and noticed that a lot of people who came up after they did were getting served. I waited another 20 minutes, trying in a couple different spots, and gave up when I STILL hadn't been able to get a drink. I don't think the bartender was just overworked; I think he was picking his customers by who caught his eye; and he wasn't looking for eyes.

But the facility was nice. I left just as the music was getting started because I was getting pretty desperately thirsty. I think I'd rather be at the Laugh with decent bartenders (and did this bar carry Woodchuck?) - but the VFW has some good points, and next time I'll know to bring a water bottle and wear a tank top.
Laura
Laura

Birthday : 1972-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Camp Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:57 pm

I think no matter where we go they will always be understaffed the first time. I don't know if we can suggest a different person though cause that lady was a huge jerk!
Camp
Camp

Birthday : 1983-06-29

http://mcleancountymissfits.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Dill Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Camp Rockurass wrote:I think no matter where we go they will always be understaffed the first time. I don't know if we can suggest a different person though cause that lady was a huge jerk!
That lady has been there every time that I have been there (not that im a regular- i just recognize her). I think shes pretty much the same to everyone.

I liked the space of it- It was much easier to find a spot to sit and talk to someone as opposed to the Laugh where the tables are only meant for two or three people. Also, it was nice having the dart boards and I noticed quite a few pull tabs..... They should probably stock up on more PBR because it seemed pretty early when they ran out.

They just didnt know what they were gonna get hit with. Smile
Molly Dill
Molly Dill

Birthday : 1975-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Embry Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:43 pm

I am sure they had NO idea what they were getting into. They would need at least 3 behind the bar to be able to keep up. Who ever alks with them can say something about it and I am betting they made some good $$$$ last night and would want to make us happy so we would come back.
Mark Embry

Birthday : 1967-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Yea they will def be more fully staffed next time and stocked with Pbr next time!
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  DV Aunt Rose Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Mr. Lynncredible also had an awesome suggestion I thought (since we do kind of down the PBR...) if they had a big trough with a bunch of PBR cans only, that the folks that want it can go to that and the bartenders can be doing everything else. They either have someone working it, or ppl can pay a few bucks beforehand and we can include it in our fee, or an honor bucket or something. Just brainstorming.....
DV Aunt Rose
DV Aunt Rose

Birthday : 1983-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadtyme Skarebear Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Not that this would necessarily be a possibility for May 12 but Treehouse Lounge has expressed interest in hosting as well. They have a fairly large facility and though they don't normally carry PBR my sister said they would special order us as much as we would drink. I just wanted to get this out there in case we were that dissatisfied with our other options.

I also was discouraged about the bartender situation. The pizza did seem to go quickly and it was a great size space.
Deadtyme Skarebear
Deadtyme Skarebear

Birthday : 1983-06-21

Back to top Go down

VFW afterparty Empty vfw

Post  MisterBates Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 pm

i think the area is awesome but i like being at the laugh i know they close at 1 but that gives us time to give a little love to our other wonderful sponsor the bistro!!! the comedy club also staffs well for us they would maybe do the pbr trough for our next oneand are always nice idk why when you are making a shit ton of money off an event you wouldnt want to be nice to people! i'm sure they were warned about the mass volume of alcohol consuming derby people its not like we just showed up! also plates for pizza and def. more pizzas when we have another league.
i know we had a timing issue for this last bout cause we decided to try the 1st bout at 6 instead of 630 but i thought the rest of our after parties were booked at the laugh?
MisterBates
MisterBates

Birthday : 1985-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Spite Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:38 pm

I really liked the space as well. However, yes, the bartender situation needs to be improved. Only one person behind the bar knew how to mix drinks, and the other one got all huffy when asked to do it, which was annoying. So that could possibly be why the woman was getting all frustrated because she was being forced to make everything.
Ginger Spite
Ginger Spite

Birthday : 1983-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Vile Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:01 pm

i liked the space with tables for those who wanted to hang out and talk. we experienced being shortchanged out of the correct change after ordering Sad
Vile
Vile

Birthday : 1982-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Demanda Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:05 pm

I thought the space was great, plenty of dance room and places for people to mingle without feeling too closed in. I bet they were a little overwhelmed, which doesn't excuse any jerkiness, but I can understand being overwhelmed and frustrated working in a bar. I like that they had Dart Boards and other things to keep people occupied. I bet/hope they will step it up next time if we go back, but I'm down with whatever is more convenient. Wink
Demanda

Birthday : 1985-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  aMOXIEcilla Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 pm

They were jerks but I like that place. I think the pizza is an issue because its a free for all. And tons of random people just eat it n whatnot. Perhaps we can see if they can man the food? Do they have food?
aMOXIEcilla
aMOXIEcilla

https://mcmissfits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Thank you all with your suggestions. I'm going to make a pros and cons list and figure out what is best for all and cost wise. I will also talk to the vfw about food and see if they can do something for us if we were to go back.
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Barty Mcfly Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:16 am

I liked it a lot. The bartender shortage was a problem but as stated before it is everytime we have an after party. It was nice having other things to do to such as pull tabs and shuffle board and plenty of room to sit plus the outside area was super nice to have.
Barty Mcfly
Barty Mcfly

Birthday : 1982-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:23 am

I agree with the space ... it was huge!! And the bartenders were an issue, but that has been stated.

Also if its gonna be a private party, is there any way to make it a private party?? And if it's not a private party, I suppose I would rather be downtown where the regulars aren't so umm... creepy, stalker, please follow me as I go to my car kind of folk.

I don't mean to sound like a bitch, but one of those dudes took a picture of my ass with his cell phone. I shouldn't have to put pants on at an afterbout party if I don't want too, ya know??

Back to top Go down

Post  aMOXIEcilla Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:32 am

I agree tayz, the next night at work a guy who frequents my bar showed me several pics...he's a super creeper. I thought it was just me he snapped pics of since he recognized me from work. But it makes me shudder
aMOXIEcilla
aMOXIEcilla

https://mcmissfits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Spite Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 am

I also agree with making it a private party. Not only to avoid stalkers and creepers (though that is an excellent and important reason), but I know that sometimes at after parties my behavior can get a skosh Messfitty, so it's probably best the public not see that.
Ginger Spite
Ginger Spite

Birthday : 1983-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 am

It is a private party however they cannot turn away vfw members just like the eagles. If we go back I will raise the issues of the members taking pictures. I just was made aware of this. Creeps!!
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Oh yea.... So the after party is at the VFW again. We have 3 bartendars and 1 barback. They waived the costs so it is free!!! I told them more beer and more pitchers! Also we will be having pizza again. It is cheap, easy and hot and fresh. I did order more pizzas this time and we will set them up in the back corner so they are hidden. YAY!
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Grand Laursony Wed May 09, 2012 9:53 pm

So, just something I would like to see if we can look into for a future bout, when we went to Appleton, WI, their after-party food was from Noodles and Company. They had probably 6-8 different types of pastas, and it was AMAZING! I'm sure that it would be more expensive than pizza, but perhaps Noodles and Company would donate for free if we gave them a sponsor spot for the bout. I would be happy to check this out if there is interest, but I also really like the pizza too!!
Grand Laursony
Grand Laursony

Back to top Go down

VFW afterparty Empty mmm

Post  MisterBates Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 pm

yummo to noodles and can we get plates this time for the pizza or at least napkins?!
MisterBates
MisterBates

Birthday : 1985-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 pm

We had plates and napkins maybe we ran out of those too. We will make sure there is extra of that too! If we can get something like noodles for next time, will it be delivered, fresh and not sitting out waiting for us to get there would be the question. I'm all for new food ideas. Pizza has just been so cheap and fresh. So yea let's look into this for June:)
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  cstremlau Sat May 12, 2012 9:03 am

I am a manager at Avantis and book caterings---if you wanna do the pasta route in the future (and want Avantis), slip me an expected guest amount (also let me know if you want just pasta, or bread/salad/pasta) and I can give you a price on the most budget friendly options. If you can PM me with what you typically budget for the pizza, I can see if we can get within those bounds

Donations:
Our PR manager, Martha Blankenship is the only one with the authority to discount or donate catering (ad space would probably sweeten the deal)--so that is still a possibility, but would have to go through an official MissFits contact, and that person would have to fill out the form on the website http://www.avantisbloomington.com/donations.htm

Hope that helps!

--Crystal
cstremlau
cstremlau

Birthday : 1984-11-14

https://www.facebook.com/crystal.labranche

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next