Mclean County MissFits

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mclean County MissFits
Mclean County MissFits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Process and Review Committee

+10
DerbyHowser
BangHer & Smash
Ross Leuck
Dinah D. Molisher
Common Denominatrix
WreckaHolmes
Camp
nonny noisemaker
Laura
Ass.Crack.Jack
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Process and Review Committee Empty Process and Review Committee

Post  Ass.Crack.Jack Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:53 am

It's time to take nominations for the new Process and Review committee, which will be in charge of fixing and maintaining bylaws and policies, and will be works with the board and HR to act as a check and balance system for all decisions made within the league.
Please submit your name if you are interested or if you have someone in mind that might be an asset to this committee. As with the last 2 elections, if you get nominated you will need to submit an election speech or decline your nomination. The cutoff for nominations will be Wednesday 3/21, that way if those that are running for HR don't make it and are interested in this committee instead, they have time to submit their names. Starting 3/21 all candidates will have a deadline to get their speeches in, and we will vote sometime the week of 3/26.

Please email me your nomination at jacilyn_11@hotmail.com by Wednesday 3/21.
Ass.Crack.Jack
Ass.Crack.Jack

Birthday : 1988-01-30

Back to top Go down

Process and Review Committee Empty Re: Process and Review Committee

Post  Ass.Crack.Jack Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 am

Bump! I am still taking nominations for the process and review committee!
Ass.Crack.Jack
Ass.Crack.Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:00 am

What about the decision we made to create a Governance Committee to revise the bylaws? Should that committee get going on a comprehensive revision before the Process and Review committee takes over with maintenance?
Laura
Laura

Birthday : 1972-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 am

i kind of feel that these committees should be the same or join for the sake of having too many committees.
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Birthday : 1979-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Camp Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:26 am

I agree with Nonny, their job descriptions are very simalar and it just makes sense to keep it all together. The BOD is meeting tonight and we can discuss it further.
Camp
Camp

Birthday : 1983-06-29

http://mcleancountymissfits.org

Back to top Go down

Post  WreckaHolmes Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 am

this is just for one elected committee head, right? and then whoever is interested can join the committee? just like the rest of the committees?
WreckaHolmes
WreckaHolmes

Birthday : 1983-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Common Denominatrix Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 am

i thought all participants in this committee would be elected. but there wasn't a designated number set up, so perhaps I am incorrect.
Common Denominatrix
Common Denominatrix

Birthday : 1983-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I think two committees might be good - a governance committee pops up to handle the major revision that's needed now - rewriting the bylaws - and then their job is done. The process committee handles the regular reassessment of policies as issues come up - because not every policy would need to be specifically laid out in the bylaws.

So the governance committee is the judicial branch, and the process committee the legislature. And the bylaws are the Constitution, and the policies the law code. And we have two sets of eyes looking over everything.

Besides, wouldn't we need to vote *AGAIN* if we were going to get rid of a committee that the league already voted to establish?
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Camp Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Since we are all into making all these committees for all these new rules can I ask what the board is for?!? I'm only asking because if we have 50 skaters and half of them are elected officials it gets really messy and rediculous.
Camp
Camp

Birthday : 1983-06-29

http://mcleancountymissfits.org

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:32 pm

We have two new board members and now a whole new human resources just in one week. As your new and fresh president I am all for changing/adding/revising the bylaws and do want to get that started asap. However, i am with camp on this when she says what is our board for if we have committee after committee. I would like you all to be able to trust your board and committee heads. They have this leagues best interest in hand.

Maybe we should re-look to vote and make this this proposed committee as one. Also another food for thought... Isnt the process review committee a little like human resources?

Again please trust your board. We will figure this issue out. This is all good talk. Ideas, suggestions and opinions is what I like to hear:) And this is mine. Thank you! MissFits rock!
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:46 pm

The President :-) Or more generally, the Executive Branch.

Often, an Organization's Board does a couple of things -

Day-to-day running of the organization, especially in the absence of a paid staff. So writing checks, signing contracts, making photocopies, and all that good stuff. If we were to hire any employees at all, the first hire would likely be an "Executive Director" who would take on a lot of that.

Developing - or guiding the development of - a vision for the organization's mission and goals. Have the MissFits ever had a serious talk about the sort of team we want to be? A team that's going to compete in Nationals, or a team that's going to give play time to as many people as possible and have great afterparties? (Coach Howie said that this debate goes on FOREVER) Coming up with a vision - and trying to move toward it - is usually a Board job.

Figuring out what activities the organization will do in fulfillment of its mission, then trying to set up the structure to do those activities. For example - I work with a historical society whose official mission is "to collect, preserve, and disseminate Indiana's Jewish History." So we have to educate the public about the existence and importance of Jewish history, collect archives (papers rotting in peoples' and organizations' basements) and oral histories, arrange for the storage of the archives and make them available to scholars, get people to want to study Jewish history, have historical studies produced, and then publish historical information in a way that people will want to read it - and raise all the money to do this. There are supposed to be 20 board members across the state and, ideally, we don't do all the work ourselves - we try to set up ways to persuade other people to do it.

Maintaining the organization's accountability. Keeping all that paperwork and public reporting- as a not-for-profit, later as a 501(c)3, and then just as a good member of the community, or of WFTDA is one of those things that's a pain, but important. Having an elected board made up of several people doing helps make sure everything stays open, ideally.

Usually a board is a lot bigger than what we have so far - like I said, my historical society has a board of 20, and we put on 2 pubic meetings/events a year, and we have the support of a part-time paid Executive Director for help. There's an Executive Board consisting of the President, 2 Vice-Presidents, a Treasurer, and the Secretary, and they're empowered to do a few things on their own if a decision has to be made quickly, but for all the big stuff the whole board has to approve it. All the Committee heads come from the Board, but any member can serve on a committee.

Roller Derby is so weird - it's a sport business, it's a not-for-profit, it's a team, it's an amateur sport. Everyone's wearing a bunch of hats. I kind of think it's better to spread it around and make/have everyone get seriously involved with the governance and the business - no one just gets to show up and skate and vote every now and then - because this all takes time from the skating, but if everyone puts in the time then everyone gets more time to skate - and it keeps everything nice and transparent for everyone.
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks Laura this is good info!
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Dinah D. Molisher Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:16 pm

I believe that when Pushy posted the HR job description, she omitted several key functions because they were being re-assigned to the future processes and planning committee.
Dinah D. Molisher
Dinah D. Molisher

Birthday : 1980-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross Leuck Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Any two organizations are not necessarily comparable. Some sports teams have all major decisions by just one party (Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban for example). My organization is roughly 100,000 employees if you include independant contractors and the board is not that much larger than the Missfits. Facebook is another example of a small board with a large organization.

I think having faith in our board and other committees to get some things accomplished is necessary. Managing change is not easy for anyone. At the start of this thread, there was one committee being formed and without them having an opportunity to show what can be done. Talk of a second committee without even have the first created might be more than there is capacity for.
Ross Leuck
Ross Leuck

Birthday : 1977-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Dinah D. Molisher wrote:I believe that when Pushy posted the HR job description, she omitted several key functions because they were being re-assigned to the future processes and planning committee.

That is correct, HR managed the bylaws and were working on processes and procedures, agreements, and code of ethics. But with all the requests for change in HR and development of the new process review group we stopped, why put forth the effort when it could all be useless once the changes are made. Things that typically fall under HR...so I really think the new HR group and new review group should strategically partner as we move forward and help us effectively manage change.

Back to top Go down

Post  WreckaHolmes Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:10 pm

were there any nominations for this committee?
WreckaHolmes
WreckaHolmes

Birthday : 1983-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ass.Crack.Jack Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Yes There were, I am actually still taking nominations if anyone is interested. We have put this on a short hold until after the bout when the board can meet with a skater that has some ideas about it. Board also decided that this would not be an elected COMMITTEE, but just an elected committee head, then the committee can be anyone that is interested and they will work closely with the board.
Ass.Crack.Jack
Ass.Crack.Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  BangHer & Smash Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:06 pm

How will the committee be picked?
BangHer & Smash
BangHer & Smash

Birthday : 1976-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  DerbyHowser Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Is HR becoming enforcement?

The only reason I ask is that enforcement and legislature shouldn't really be in the hands of the same group due to potential abuse (I'm not accusing anyone, thinking ahead here).

I feel it should be setup so that the standing commitees/board can execute within a certain amount of latitude in their particular sphere of influence (PR can take certain approved PR actions without a vote, Marketing can do the same, etc etc). The governance group redefines the latitudes as necessary based upon team feedback and puts those changes up to team vote. The HR group investigates possible infractions of the latitudes and mediates internal disputes. This provides separation of power and transparency of role.

Just my thoughts.
DerbyHowser
DerbyHowser

Birthday : 1979-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  nonny noisemaker Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 pm

This type of comittee is new to the league so we are trying to find the best way to get it started.

Howser thanks for the thoughts! It's good to hear different input. And I know committees to have things they decide within their committee where it's not nessescary for a league vote(example, how many flyers need printed off etc.)

And Smash we will vote the committee head in and the rest will be voulenteered like the other committees. Smile

When this committee takes off I think it will be a really good thing!
nonny noisemaker
nonny noisemaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross Leuck Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:33 pm

What howser is describing is something we do need to discuss. I think that some people do not understand what HR does based on feedback we have gotten.
Ross Leuck
Ross Leuck

Birthday : 1977-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly Dill Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Jackers- this is something that I am interested in once the details are talked over.
Molly Dill
Molly Dill

Birthday : 1975-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ass.Crack.Jack Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:53 am

If you are still interested in running for committee head for this committee, please submit your speech stating why you would be a great committee head to jacilyn_11@hotmail.com by Wednesday, April 18th.
Here is who was nominated, if you are not interested please send an email declining your nomination.

Black and Blue
Dinah
Ice
Jerzii
Mark
Moxie
Smash
Maully
Ass.Crack.Jack
Ass.Crack.Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Ass.Crack.Jack Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:35 am

Bueller...? We really need to.get moving on some procedures, like soon.
Ass.Crack.Jack
Ass.Crack.Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  aMOXIEcilla Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:15 am

I didn't realize I was on the list but my office running days r over for now.
aMOXIEcilla
aMOXIEcilla

https://mcmissfits.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next